China Printer Shipment Decreased 11.9% in Q2
According to IDC, China HCP market shipment turned out to be 4.79 million units in the second quarter (Q2), down 11.9% comparing to the same period last year.
Inkjet printer shipment decreased 0.1% year-over-year to 1.87 million units, while laser printer shipment decreased 19.7% year-over-year to 2.37 million units. Dot matrix printer shipment registered 0.54 million units, down 10.4% comparing to the same period from last year.
IDC analyzed the reasons for decreasing include:
- Supply shortage. As Covid-19 escalated again in Southeast Asia in Q2, printer production in the local factories was greatly impacted.
- Printer price increased due to the pressure from the increase in raw materials costs and shipping costs.
- Home and education training purchasing needs decrease, due to latest China policy.
Some highlights include:
- Inktank printer shipment exceeded inkjet printer shipment for the first time.
In the second quarter, the domestic epidemic situation was well controlled, production and life were gradually normalized, and the government also strengthened its control of the education and training industry. These factors led to a decline in the demand for consumer users to purchase machines. Meanwhile, inkjet printer shipment decreased dramatically due to the epidemic situation in Southeast Asia and parts shortage.
Inktank printer supply was relatively stable and purchasing needs from small-and-medium companies were rebounding.
- A4 laser printer was impacted the most by supply shortage.
A4 laser printer suffered from supply shortage as well as delivery delay due to the epidemic situation in Southeast Asia. Chip and parts supply shortage was also contributing to A4 laser printer performance.
- A3 laser MFP increased 7.9% year-over-year.
A3 laser MFP production was not affected by COVID-19 in Q2. A3 laser MFP demand grew, driven by large enterprises and the non-manufacturing industry. Some models of some manufacturers are out of stock, and channels are becoming more motivated to stock up, which has also promoted the growth of shipments. Driven by the increasing demand for user’s color printing and more profit, major manufacturers made higher growth goals for A3 laser MFP.
- Dot-matrix printer demand is weak and market scale is shrinking.
Purchasing demand from small and medium companies declined due to operating pressure. The growth of import and export trade has fallen, and the industry procurement by the government and large enterprises decreased.
IDC China printing, imaging and document solutions senior analyst Menxue Ren pointed out that manufacturers should strengthen channel guidance and price control in the second half-year, facing the slippery market demand. In the meantime, channels should remember that unstable supply will be the norm in 2021.
- IDC Expects Worldwide Page Volumes to Rebound
- IDC: Indian HCP Market Registers Best Q1
- IDC: India HCP Market Sees Best-ever Q4 Shipment
- IDC: HCP Market Grows in Asia/Pacific in Q4
Please leave your comments below for the story “China Printer Shipment Decreased 11.9% in Q2”