Thief Advertises Stolen Cartridges – Berto meets Mr Stupid
There is nothing more amusing than a stupid thief. One that sets himself, or herself up, to get caught. But it happens.
Printer cartridges are being stolen regularly and sold quickly for cash because they are quite valuable. RT Media tracked stolen printer cartridge products over a six week period and found the following stories:
- NHS administrator, Madeleine Webster, 47, from Liverpool, UK, spent years defrauding her own department by ordering £160,000 of printer cartridges with public money before selling them on eBay.
- Australian police say a 35-year old thief stole about 23,000 toner cartridges over six years with a total retail value of about $ 2.4 million. They found 313 stolen toner cartridges in his home;
- 21 US crooks swindled 50,000 people, selling them toner for 10 times the regular price;
- James Worrall, a night time shelf-stacker in a UK supermarket, stole ink cartridges every week for 4 years;
- Simon Hall, in northeastern England, told police God gave him the stolen ink so he could change the color of the River Skerne;
- Police caught 3 Chinese, red-handed, selling counterfeit ink and toner cartridges worth 9.5 million US dollars in the Emirates;
- two former Cartridge World store owners stole a million dollars-worth of cartridge supplies from their Dallas based customer, only to resell them back to the same customer again;
- Police apprehended four youths in possession of a 9mm pistol and drug equipment after they tried to steal printers and cartridges from a Walmart store in Chicago, injuring a store employee;
- Joshua Hubbard, who stole 11 printers from railroad freight containers in Utah and got caught selling them online.
Hence Berto’s cartoon this month.
US author Victoria Schwab says “Some people steal to stay alive, and some steal to feel alive. Simple as that.”
It’s well known that printer inks are the most expensive liquids in the world. So printing consumables have been added to the list of sought after valuables including watches, phones, jewellery and cash.
Berto #44: October 5, 2016: Thief Advertises Stolen Cartridges – Berto meets Mr Stupid
What is your response to this month’s Berto cartoon? Please add your comments
Last month’s Berto cartoon: More Trees Planted than Harvested – Berto digs in
Who is Berto? And where can you can see more of his work? Click here.